Recent ESED Graduate Awarded Top Honor by NARST

January 28, 2015

Dr. Allison Godwin, who graduated in August 2014 with a Ph.D. in Engineering and Science Education, has been awarded the 2015 Outstanding Doctoral Research Award by the National Association for Research in Science Teaching (NARST). NARST is a worldwide organization focused on improving science teaching and learning through research. Dr. Godwin’s dissertation titled, “Understanding Female Engineering Enrollment: Explaining Choice with Critical Engineering Agency,” was selected among all other dissertations nominated as having the greatest significance in the field of science education.

Dr. Godwin expresses her gratitude, “I am honored NARST found my dissertation to be important to the community of science educators. I look forward to continuing my research from my time at Clemson University to improving enrollment of underrepresented groups in engineering and creating opportunities to develop students’ STEM identities in the transition from high school to college.”

Currently an Assistant Professor in Purdue University’s School of Engineering Education, Clemson University holds a special place in Dr. Godwin’s heart. She graduated summa cum laude in the Calhoun Honors College with her B.S. in Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering. She completed her Ph.D. in Engineering and Science Education under the direction of Dr. Geoffrey Potvin, with her research funded by a National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship.