Growing Health Update Fall 2023

September 20, 2023

Melissa Bales
Rural Health & Nutrition Extension Associate
Statewide; Programs in  Greenville & Laurens Counties

Melissa Bales, Extension Associate, and Mary Vargo, Urban Horticulture Agent, prepare for Growing Health in June.

Growing Health just wrapped its SIXTH class! Growing Health is a program that was developed by the Greenville County Rural Health and Nutrition and Urban Horticulture Agents to help beginner gardeners in Greenville learn to grow their own vegetables and incorporate these vegetables into a healthy diet. In order to help beginner gardeners learn about vegetables that can be grown throughout the year, Growing Health is presented in accordance to growing seasons – spring, summer, and fall. Those who participate in the program receive information and growing materials to take home.

Participants in Growing Health in August got a taste test of Broccoli, Apple, Pecan Salad. Find the recipe at hgic.clemson.edu.

We are so excited to have had so many of you participate in the program so far. We would like to thank Clemson Extension’s Innovation Awards program for providing the initial funding for the development and pilot of the program. While the pilot of the program has concluded, we look forward to continuing to offer this program throughout the growing seasons and look forward to expanding the program outside of Greenville County.

We hope to see you in a future Growing Health class! Contact Rural Health and Nutrition Extension Associate Melissa Bales at 864-986-1047 or mbales@clemson.edu for more information or questions regarding the program.

Comments

• James Dixon says:

I brought some samples off my evergreen trees early in December to be sent to the lab. I was looking for the reason the trees are dying.I Paid twenty dollars for this service.I have never heard a word from them or anyone. I would like to know why my trees are dying

• Amy Mallette says:

Hello James,
      I’ve contacted the admin in the county you sent the samples through. She is going to forward the results to you.
      Have a nice day!