Many people do not consider livestock a threat; however, every year, many people are injured or killed by livestock. It is important to always respect the livestock and to understand they can pose many threats to humans.
Safety Reminders for Handling Livestock
- Keep work areas clean not only for yourself but also for the livestock.
- Always be respectful of the animals. Often they do not intend to hurt you, but their size can pose a threat.
- Keep children away from livestock while working with it.
- Always leave yourself a way out when working in close quarters with livestock.
- When working with a mother and her young, be extra careful. Often mothers can become very protective of their young, which could result in injury to themselves or others.
- Stay clear of animals that are frightened or spooked. Often these animals will act out of fear and could injure you.
- When approaching livestock, always ensure they know that you are there. Never approach an animal in its blind spot.